We can't wait for you to meet Ms. Tricia Oughton! In her fifth year as a Kinder Teacher at The Center for Hearing and Speech's Melinda Webb School, Ms. Tricia brings her spunkiness and her kindness to the school, and says her favorite part of being a teacher is seeing her students' smiling faces as they start school each day.
To her, the most fulfilling part of her job is witnessing the little moments when a child grasps new a language concept or speech sound, and uses it successfully for the first time. "The student just beams with pride of having accomplished something on their own," she says.
Let's get to know Ms. Tricia!
- What’s your favorite game to play with your students? There are so many great games that we can play with our students, and we definitely love to play games whenever we can! In fact, it’s difficult to choose just one game. I spy and Guess Who are two of my favorite games to play with my students.
- What’s your favorite language activity to do with your students? My students love playing guessing games. We work on asking questions and using the responses like clues to solve mystery. What’s inside the box or mystery bag? An object is placed inside a colorful bag without the students seeing the object. Then, students take turns asking questions (ex. Does it live in the ocean?), and try to solve the mystery object by putting the clues together. It can be anything from a stuffed animal to a household objects. This game is great for encouraging spoken language, and it’s a great way to review old vocabulary words also.
- What’s your favorite ice cream flavor? Well, my favorite is really a frozen yogurt. I love TCBY’s white chocolate mousse!
- Do you have any pets? How many? Yes, I have 2 dogs named Gunner and Cocoa Puff. This picture is the two of them in their Christmas pajamas!
- When you were five, what did you want to be when you grew up? I wanted to be a ballerina and a gymnastics teacher.
- What’s your favorite color? I love purple, but green is a close second.
The Center for Hearing and Speech has an amazing staff of teachers, audiologists, and speech-language pathologists who daily invest in the lives of our students. We know you’ll enjoy meeting them all year long!